Thursday, June 30, 2005

The“Cook next door” meme

I have been tagged by coboypb/Jacin for this meme and decided to add it here to my new blog, created today. :)

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

When I was in secondary school, I would go to libraries to look for recipies and go home to try them. However, having little cash it was difficult sometimes to buy the ingredients.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
Probably my mom as I've grown up on her cooking and baking. But along the way I experiment myself and make a lot of dishes she hasn't tried before. My parents were also very adventurous, doing their own satay, chay siew (Chinese BBQ Pork), salted eggs (with salt from the Great Salt Lake!), fishballs (with fish they caught themselves), canned vegetables and even making their own dried prunes and apricots!

Do you have an old photo as evidence of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?
I probably don't, but most of our older photos are in a mess.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Recently I have discovered that brownies and me don't get along. I've ruined about 3 batches. The last batch I just dumped last week. I've given up.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?
My oven, which I have dreamed of having for many years, is the best gadget. Letdown may be my grater or my spatula - I've broken two of those.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!
A lot of times I mix up anything I can find at home, but I've never really offered these creations to anyone else so I don't know if they would like them.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without?
I am generally easy going when it comes to food that I really need to eat; it's more what I don't want to eat rather than what I need to eat.

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer?
Well then, feel free to add one!
Three quickies:Your favorite ice-cream?

Dreyer's Rocky Road. It's not too sweet and simply delicious.

You will probably never eat?
Offal, I feel naseous even if someone eats it next to me.

Your own signature dish?
Probably pizza or fried rice, which I did quite frequently when I had more time. I come up with all sorts of combinations of ingredients. Sometimes they turn out really weird.

Question added by Zarah: On average, how many times a week would you cook something to satisfy your sweet tooth?
I don't really have a sweet tooth as I prefer savory foods. The frequency also depends on how much time I have available and problem is that because I don't take much, I have to find people to eat them before I start.

Question added by Cathy: What do you usually eat for breakfast?
I have been taking cereals. There isnt' time in the morning to prepare something. I also eat out at the coffeeshop a lot.

Question added by Alice: What are your stand-by dinner options when you
don't have the time or the inclination to follow or create a new recipe?
Maybe potato salad which I learnt from an American friend and is really easy and fast to do. Potatoes are really versatile so could also be country pie, shepherd's pie or just plain baked. I also get my mom to make fried bee hoon if I feel I don't have enough food for a dinner party.

And, last but not least: Tag three people!
I'm not sure about this one. Let me think about it, since hardly any of my friends blog!

No comments: